Sunday, June 6, 2010

Jaws


Shut up with criticizing my unoriginal title.... it's a classic :)
I WENT GREAT WHITE SHARK CAGE DIVING TODAY (that enough should count for a blog entry, that's how exciting that is)
It was sick!! It all started cause last night I went to one of Tommy's friend's brother's birthday party (which was massive fun by the way. And I learned new things... such as South Africans say "hectic" instead of cool or awesome AND a bathing suit is a COSTUME. I couldn't figure out if they wanted us to dress like sharks or something when I first read the things-to-bring on the dive list).
Anyways, turns out that brother has an older brother who works with the daughter of the owner of the biggest Shark Cage Diving company in Cape Town (you're allowed to re-read that last sentence a couple of times). As it turns out, the daughter had organized an office group outing to go on a dive for today. And since I wanted to go, hey said there was an extra spot if I wanted to join them.
So, with full knowledge that I may just be jinxing myself by saying this... my travelling good luck stands. I got to go with company, with zero planning, got a ride to the place AND PAYED FRIENDS AND FAMILY PRICE hahaha! It ended up costing me ZAR500 instead of the regular 1500. HECTIC.
I can safely say that (not counting the seasickness and waking up at 5:30am) it is by far one of the most amazing experiences I had ever had in my life. These animals are kings of the ocean. They are huge, intimidating, and IMMENSELY beautiful. It's amazing how they were swimming around us so calmly, but even in their slowness you can tell how incredibly powerful they are: everything from the tip of their noses to their tiny beady eyes, long tail, fins (and.... yes, the very sharp teeth) is made to let you know that you're facing a creature to be reckoned with. It had to do nothing but swim close to us slowly to have us all gasping for breath much sooner than we would have if we were swimming across a pool, and desperately grabbing on to the gate, half terrified to leave the water for fear of missing out, half wanting so badly to scream (out of excitement, not fear) up in the air gap. It's funny how people think comparing ourselves with the big vast universe can make us realize how tiny we really are (and how insignificant). But trust me, while the universe can be a vastly abstract concept to grasp... swimming face to face with a Great White will definitely put you into perspective. We are puny humans.
I did nothing else today. Between the dizziness and the adrenaline, I came back home and... dirty and salty... collapsed in bed and didn't wake up until 5 hours later. Now I'm going to get some rest again... tomorrow I begin training at Green Point Stadium!
I grabbed some pretty cool shots you can see on the new facebook album, and I'll be posting the ones from Table Mountain tomorrow... Table Mountain, by the way (since I made no blog about it) has made me seriously consider coming to live in Cape Town for a while. The views from up there are absolutely breathtaking, it's peaceful, clean and so much fun to jump around rocks on. We could see the stadium and Robben Island, all the way around to the nicest beaches, and I had a laugh watching the girls panic every time i'd climb on big boulders near the edge to grab a cool shot. The risk was well worth it, I hope you enjoy the pictures :)
Alrighty bedtime. Toodles, bloggies!

June 6 - 5:11pm Lima, 6:11pm Ottawa, 12:11am Cape Town (so for you its still June 5th.. baha being in the 5th is sooo yesterday... GET WITH THE TIMES, PEOPLE!!)

No comments:

Post a Comment